The Immersion Program information and resources are currently in development. More information will be available soon.
(/ɪˈməːs/): involve oneself deeply in a particular activity.
El Hogar welcomes Immersion Teams during the Honduran school year (February to October) to immerse themselves in the daily life at our centers. This trip is an educational experience that will give you the opportunity to engage with the students and staff at our centers as well as with other NGOS and community members, understand our work in Honduras and the complexity of poverty and partner with us to help us fulfill our mission.
An Immersion Trip is an opportunity for you to unplug from your everyday lives at home and plug into the everyday lives of those you meet and spend time with at our centers in Honduras. They will help you understand a new culture and build a fresh perspective on this fascinating part of the world.
No one trip to Honduras or one project at El Hogar can solve the very complex issues that our organization is working to address. However, we do believe that immersing yourself in the world of El Hogar can help you to gain a better understanding of the situation in Honduras and Central America and enable you to partner with us, our staff and students and the people of Honduras to be part of an ongoing conversation about solutions to the difficult issues they face.
An Immersion Trip is just one step towards a long-term relationship with El Hogar and Honduras.
What to Expect
- Experience what daily life is like for the staff and students in our program.
- Learn about the values of El Hogar, the history and culture of Honduras and the complexities of poverty.
- Recognize the professional qualifications of El Hogar’s Honduran staff, and partner with them to promote their work and their programming goals.
- Expand your understanding of how actions in North America affect Honduras and Central America; from personal purchases to local and global political policies and decisions.
- Experience heightened personal and spiritual growth and cross-cultural learning.
- Increase your commitment to serving El Hogar’s vulnerable populations – socially and/or financially.
- Become an advocate for El Hogar, for social justice and for solutions to poverty in Honduras and Central America; increase your commitment to serving El Hogar’s vulnerable populations, socially and/or financially.
Tips for Travel
- Teams come to learn, not to change or fix things.
- Things might not go as expected. Ask questions and listen carefully to the response of how and why things happen differently.
- Be gracious and have an open mind and an open heart.
Frequently Asked Questions
(If you can’t open a PDF, download the free viewer at acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/products/pdf-reader.html)
Immersion Trip Application
Submitting this application is the first step in planning an incredible journey that many find to be transformative.