/kəˈnek.ʃən/: a bond formed between people that feel heard, seen, known and valued.
El Hogar welcomes visiting groups during the Honduran school year (February to October) to connect with our staff, students and each other for a transformational experience that promotes service to one another, intercultural exchange and experiential learning.
Visiting groups will spend five days at El Hogar engaged in meaningful activities that will create an understanding between communities and provide opportunities for intellectual and spiritual growth.
No one trip to Honduras or one project at El Hogar can solve the very complex issues that our organization is working to address. However, we do believe that connecting with the world of El Hogar can help you to gain a better understanding of the situation in Honduras and Central America and enable you to partner with us, our staff and students and the people of Honduras to be part of an ongoing conversation about solutions.
True connection happens when we reach out to people who are different from us and engage with them as we challenge and encourage each other. An El Hogar Connects trip is just one step towards true connection and a long-term relationship with El Hogar.
Watch: An El Hogar Connects team leader shares why you should visit El Hogar and see us in “3D”
What to Expect
- Experience what daily life is like for the staff and students in our program.
- Learn about the values of El Hogar, the history and culture of Honduras and the complexities of poverty.
- Recognize the professional qualifications of El Hogar’s Honduran staff, and partner with them to promote their work and their programming goals.
- Expand your understanding of how actions in North America affect Honduras and Central America
- Experience heightened personal and spiritual growth and cross-cultural learning.
- Enjoy the beauty of Honduras
- Become an advocate for El Hogar, for social justice and for solutions to poverty in Honduras and Central America;
Tips for Travel
- Teams come to learn, not to change or fix things.
- Things might not go as expected. Ask questions and listen carefully to the response of how and why things happen differently.
- Be gracious and have an open mind and an open heart.
Frequently Asked Questions
(If you can’t open a PDF, download the free viewer at acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/products/pdf-reader.html)
Submitting this application is the first step in planning an incredible journey that many find to be transformative.