Board Member – Treasurer
El Hogar Ministries, Inc.
El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza started in 1979 with five young boys living on the streets of Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Five members of the local Episcopal Church wanted to do something about child homelessness in the capital city. They rented a house, took in those five boys and nurtured and cared for them. Over 1,000 students have graduated from El Hogar, which has grown since its inception to include two campuses: an elementary school and a Technical Institute. We help these students and their families break the cycle of poverty by providing quality residential and educational services, including training in a marketable trade, so they can become productive and independent Honduran citizens leading their lives with the hope of a better future. Our centers in Honduras are run by a dedicated staff who work closely with our students to give them a rich education and a sense of pride in themselves and caring for others. Both our Honduran leadership and our international boards have unlimited passion and extensive experience guiding our programs in order to fulfill our mission.
The Treasurer of El Hogar Ministries Inc. is an essential member of the Board of Directors, responsible for overseeing the organization’s financial affairs and ensuring its financial stability and compliance. This is an exciting role that provides the opportunity to contribute to EHMI’s success via top-level compliance and financial management with a passionate, world-class team. The Treasurer’s work directly impacts the organization’s long-term financial stability, allowing EHMI to continue its important work in the United States and Honduras.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ensure maintenance of accurate financial records, internal controls, insurances, and compliance
- Ensure adherence to financial policies and procedures.
- Monitor and report on the organization’s financial health.
- Review and monitor bank accounts, cash flow, and budget creation.
- Recommend auditing services and meet with external auditors.
- Ensure timely submission of government tax filings and liabilities.
- Provide stewardship of funds and verify proper handling of donations and grants.
- Participate in the development of financial policies and high-level strategies.
- Oversee investments and ensure proper management of reserves.
- Oversee the preparation and presentation of annual budgets.
- Collaborate with the Managing Supervisor(s) and Board on financial reporting and decision-making.
- Present financial reports at Board meetings and the Annual General Meeting.
- Chair or participate in relevant committees such as Finance, Audit, Compensation, and Budget Development.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Familiarity with financial management and reporting practices.
- Experience in finance, accounting, or relevant field.
- Professional accounting designation or business management degree preferred.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex financial information.
- Dedication to fulfilling the time requirements of the role.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Attend regular Finance Committee meetings, typically monthly
- Dedicate approximately 15 hours per month to committee-related activities.
- Serve a term of 3 years with the possibility of reappointment.
To express interest in becoming the board treasurer, please submit your resume and a brief statement explaining your motivation and qualifications to email@example.com. Upon receipt of your resume, you will be asked to complete a Board Application.
Thank you for your interest in joining the dedicated team of El Hogar.