El Hogar Minstries, Inc.
El Hogar, an educational and residential program that has supported Honduran youth since 1979, is looking for a passionate and experienced fundraiser to join our team as a Development Officer. As the DO, you will have the unique opportunity to oversee, achieve, and expand our organization’s overall short-term and long-term fundraising targets while staying true to our mission.
Your primary responsibility will be managing and implementing all of El Hogar’s fundraising programs, including Major Giving, El Hogar Partners, the El Hogar Connects program, the Direct Mail program, and events. You will also maintain and strengthen our long-standing relationship with the Episcopal Community, investing a high percentage of your efforts towards increasing donations and individual donors through the Episcopal Church while also diversifying our donor base.
Based in the United States, you will report directly to the Executive Director of El Hogar Projects who is based in Honduras. To be successful in this role, you should have a proven track record in fundraising and a deep understanding of nonprofit development. Additionally, you should possess excellent communication and relationship-building skills, as you will be responsible for cultivating relationships with donors and stakeholders. If you are a driven, strategic, and results-oriented fundraiser with a passion for making a positive impact in the world, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity with El Hogar.
El Hogar www.elhogar.org provides a quality education, vocational training and a safe and nurturing home to children living in vulnerable conditions in Honduras. Our goal is to break the cycle of poverty so that our students can fulfill their potential as productive and independent Honduran citizens. We have been operating and evolving for over 44 years as a mission of the Episcopal Church with the generous support of North American donors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Achieve the North American revenue goal of 1.5 million per year and ensure yearly growth and innovation to match the organizational vision.
• Develop and implement a strong donor stewardship program to increase donor retention, expand the donor base and strengthen partnerships with our existing Episcopal community.
• Develop and implement strategies to diversify donor base, both within the existing Episcopal community as well as other donor segments in North America
• Work with the Administrative Assistant/Donations Coordinator to maintain the accuracy and integrity of the Raiser’s Edge database by ensuring that all information is kept current and up to date, as well as to generate valuable decision-making donor behavior data to achieve short goals and long-term planning
• Provide support to various board committees and volunteers regarding fundraising activities when needed
• Lead marketing and communications initiatives that drive revenue goals, as well as develop a compelling, mission-aligned branding and organizational image to support long-term sustainability
• Work with the ED and other staff to create ongoing programs that engage donors, visitors and volunteers in meaningful activity that is designed to create and foster a wider more connected El Hogar community
• Manage all aspects of grants from applying to new opportunities to reporting on outcomes and managing relationships with all stakeholders.
• Perform basic administrative duties such as filing, data entry, maintaining a filing system and more
• Present monthly reports on progress toward monthly objectives as well as KPI status
• Plan content for a board-level development committee meeting and attend full board meetings when appropriate.
• At El Hogar, we value individuals who engage in the teachings and practices of the Episcopal Church, staying up to date on current events, activities, and initiatives to deepen understanding and connection between El Hogar and the faith community.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Proven results consistently generating yearly six figure fundraising goals through individual donors in non-profit organizations
• Experience cultivating and engaging major donors who donate at least $10,000 or more.
• Experienced and comfortable public speaker
• Experience developing and implementing annual giving programs, direct appeals and their transactional fundraising programs.
• Comfortable working in close connection with a religious community, preferably connected to the Episcopal Church
• Exceptional time-management and organizational skills
• Outstanding communications and presentation skills both verbally and in writing
• Ability to analyze data and financial information in order to make good decisions regarding fundraising goals and strategies
• Passionate about social-justice focused work, and comfortable in a multi-cultural work environment
• Collaborative work and leadership style
• Comfortable working independently as well as under direct supervision
• Fluency in Spanish highly desirable.
• Ability to travel within North and Central America
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required
• At least 5 years of experience in fundraising or development, preferably in a nonprofit or faith-based organization
• Experience in planning and executing successful fundraising campaigns, grant writing, and donor relations
• Knowledge of fundraising software and donor management systems
• Experience in event planning and management
$60,000 to $70,000 plus a competitive benefits package with the opportunity for additional variable compensation
- In your opinion, what are the most effective fundraising strategies for a faith-based nonprofit like El Hogar? Please provide specific examples of successful fundraising campaigns you have planned or executed in the past.
- Describe a time when you had to overcome a significant challenge in a fundraising role. What was the challenge, and how did you approach it? What were the outcomes, and what did you learn from the experience? In what ways might you apply this learning to a fundraising role at El Hogar?
Please submit your CV, a cover letter and your answer to our two Essay Questions in a single Word or PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 15, 2023. In the Subject line please indicate the following: Job Application for Development Officer. If you have been referred by someone directly related to EL Hogar, please add to the Subject line: Referred by [insert name and organization or relationship to El Hogar].
A Selection Committee will review your application and, if shortlisted, you will be contacted via email from this same address to schedule a virtual interview. We recommend that you add the address to your Contacts to avoid missing important notifications. For specific questions or concerns, please, add them to your application on a separate page. For more information about our organization, please visit www.elhogar.org
Thank you for your interest in joining the dedicated team of El Hogar.